Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Another Indian wedding, school, Borotha making...

It’s weird: every time I go into the internet, I think: I’ve got to update my blog! :)
I guess that’s a positive change in my thinking. :) I know how much you all love to hear from me, and I love telling you about India, so I look forward to writing blog entries!

Last Sunday, a teacher from school got married in a small church about 20 minutes from here. On Saturday evening, Cristy and I, as well as several male teachers went to the church (which had no electricity) to decorate. NB: around here, often the men do work that you’d expect women to be doing. We worked for more than 4 hours before Cristy and I left, but 2 of the men stayed longer to finish all the work.
When we saw the church on Sunday morning, though, it was gorgeous! They’d done it up really nicely, and of course it was fantastic to see something so beautiful that we’d helped make. Of course, the decorations were completely different from any Western wedding’s decorations. But it was so colourful and cheerful, I really liked it!
And guess what: I wore a sari for the wedding! It was the first time I’d worn a sari in public, and it did feel slightly weird. Being wrapped in 6m of fabric is something you have to get used to, first. But it was really cool, too! All the other teachers (mostly ladies) were delighted to finally see me in a sari. Cristy had worn saris before, but I hadn’t gotten a blouse made yet, so I couldn’t wear one.
Yesterday, some students and the school’s cooks convinced me to wear a sari to school today, so I did (it was the same one I’d worn for the wedding, but nobody cared). And guess what: this morning, I actually managed to put it on all on my own! I had only practiced 2 or 3 times before (and they’d been total failures). But last night Pratheeba, our neighbour, had helped me put it on, and I watched her really carefully, so this morning I got up half an hour earlier, and I put it on. I was so surprised when it only took me 15 minutes (it still takes Cristy roughly 25 minutes to put hers on, and she’s practiced more than me!), and it came out nice! Pratheeba only had to make few adjustments. I was so proud of myself!
And speaking of major achievements in Noemi’s life: last night I helped Mathew (Pratheeba’s husband, our neighbour) make Borotha. I think it’s the same as the ‘Roti Prata’ you can get in Singapore. In the school community, Mathew is the only one who can make Borotha, because either people can’t do it, or they don’t attempt to make it. So that means that whenever the hostel (about 50 students in boarding) wants to eat Borotha, Mathew spends an afternoon in the school kitchen, making it all by himself. And because he’s now convinced that I can make good Borotha, I’m allowed to help him this coming Sunday, to make Borotha for the hostel! I’m really excited, because it’s so fun to make (and because I’m the only one who’s learned it from him properly!). :) I know, you must be thinking that I am such a selfish, proud person. But it’s really given my self-esteem a boost. I can’t wait until Sunday!

Otherwise, life around here is usual. I’ve got lots to do in terms of preparing lessons, correcting books (which takes forever because these kids can’t write properly in English, and I’m not writing out the answers for them on the board, like all the other teachers do. I want them to learn to formulate proper sentences in English on their own! – but that means more work for me. Oh well, if it helps the students…), etc.
I’ve started giving music classes after school for whoever wants to learn how to learn an instrument. I’ve started with theory of music classes first, so the students (and some teachers who are interested!) can learn how to read music first, which is sort of important! After that, Cristy will be teaching Guitar and Violin, and I’ll be teaching Piano.
But it’s a slow process. We started with classes last week, but because the kids have sports competitions (called ‘games’) after school, and because they’re preparing for Arts competitions that will take place in a few weeks, many students have not been able to attend the classes. It’s really frustrating, because October is such a busy month for them, but I really need to start them off on the theory classes now, seeing as I’m leaving here in the middle of February. I only got a 6-month visa for India, so I have to leave then…
There are some days I’ve got terrible homesickness, not really for Singapore (although I do think it would be nice to have this or that from there once in a while), but for the people I love – who are all over the world!

Next week (18th October), my parents and sister are going to come visit me! Together with them, Cristy and I will travel around parts of Kerala a bit, to see the state that is called ‘God’s own country’ due to its natural beauty. I can’t wait to see them again! It’ll be really exciting, although I don’t know how I’m going to say goodbye to them at the end… Oh well! Life around here is so busy, time flies!

Anyway, I should get going now. I’ve got to teach music classes later this afternoon (at the moment, I have free periods, so the principal allowed me to type on the computer in his office).

1 Comments:

At 10:07 am, Blogger SirKline said...

Everytime I'm on the Blogspot i think, maybe there are news from India. Thanks for your reports.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home