Sunday, October 01, 2006

Indian Roads

Yes, India does actually have roads! And not only that: in Kerala, they’re paved, too!
But of course, they wouldn’t be Indian roads if they didn’t have potholes…

When I first walked along a road in India, I jumped off it in panic when I heard the honking of a fast – and I mean fast! – car approaching from behind me. Naturally, I was quite surprised when the car did not even get close to the spot I had been standing just seconds earlier.
After a few days of close study, I came to the conclusion that an Indian car’s horn has a very different function than the horn of any Western car (or that of a car in any more developed country). Here in India, the horn’s purpose is simply to ‘announce’ that the car is nearing you. Ironically, the drivers also sound their horn when they approach from the front, even though you can see them coming towards you and don’t need an extra audio warning. But then, I’ve also come to the conclusion that the Indian drivers honk specially for Cristy and me, because we are foreigners.
So, the best rule of thumb is: ignore honking!

…But be careful, because Indian bus, lorry, jeep and auto drivers are absolutely crazy! One ride in an auto (three-wheeled vehicle just like the tuk-tuk in Thailand) will teach you that. If you miss the thrill of a Western roller coaster, get in an auto. It will leave you with just as many breathtaking and exhilarating moments as any roller coaster – if it doesn’t surpass the roller coaster because of its real-life edge of danger.

You definitely need good nerves, even if you are simply walking along the roads. Drivers here tend to race straight towards you so that it honestly looks like they’re going to run you over, but they swerve away at the very last instant. Even buses will speed around sharp corners, and the craziest of all drivers overtake these fast buses – in the curves, with other cars coming straight towards them.

So, ignore the honking, but stay clear from buses, lorries, jeeps and autos. But seeing as pretty much all vehicles on Indian roads are buses, lorries, jeeps and autos, be careful! If one comes towards you, jump for you life!

2 Comments:

At 9:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

noemiiii!

it's nice to see you're observing...er...roads and er, cars in India. Seems uhh..rather fun and very productive.

When you get back, I would love love love to try a sample of your cooking...however, please try not to kill me.

 
At 1:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*grin* Indian roads sound familiarly like Nepali ones - I was once on a bus for an hour that honked at, I swear to god, every car that passed by. You have no idea how excruciating that was (or perhaps you do *grin*) E-mail forthcoming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home